Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oscar Predictions 2013

I LOVE award season. I love the red carpet, I love seeing the stars all dressed up and talking about their movies. I was in LA this weekend, and while walking through Hollywood, I got to see that they were already setting up for the red carpet event this Sunday. Bleachers were already set up for fans to watch their favorite celebrities walk the red carpet in million dollar dresses and jewlrery. What I would give to be in those bleachers! However, award season is not just about the red carpet, it's about the best of the best films that are recognized throughout the year. Now they dont always get it right-a lot of the the times I am dissapointed in the movies that are nominated, but this year is not one of those years. I saw A LOT of movies that are nominated this year. A few I already reviewed (Les Mis, Silver Linings, etc) but many I have not. With a full plate this winter, I decided to hold off on writing a big review for some of these movies, and instead do a whole blog on my Oscar Picks instead. So, here they are.

Actor in a Supporting Role
I never saw Lincoln or The Master, but I did see the rest of the nominees in this category. I absolutely loved Chris Waltz in Django (he's honestly awesome), but I am going with Robert DeNiro in Silver Lingings Playbook. As a sports-obsessed father who is trying to understand his son who is suffering from mental illness, he was just fantastic. He reminded me of a much softer Jack Focker, and there is one scene in the movie that really made me choke up, no one can argue he rocks, and therefore I think he should walk with the Oscar.

Actress in a Supporting Role
As much as I love every actress in this category, it doesn't matter.If you follow awards season 2013, you know it's Anne's year. She deseves it too- her performance in Les Mis is SO good. I cried so hard during the 5 minute 'I Dreamed a Dream' because she made me believe how sad and desperate she was. If it was not going to be Anne, I think I'd go with Helen Hunt in The Sessions. It was a cool movie where she plays a sex surrogate to a handicapped man so he can lose his virginity late in life. It was funny, and endearing. It also will always be a fond memory movie experience because it was the first movie I ever saw by myself in the theatre. Yeah, I did it. It was something I always wanted to do and it was fun! Alcohol helped. But moving on...

Actor in a Lead Role
Also a shoe in this year is Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. I never even saw the movie and I know it's his. In the trailer alone I thought, "Holy Crap." He's going to get that Oscar and if you ask me, DDL is a bit of a bad ass! If he was not in this categor I think I would go with either Hugh Jackman or Bradley Cooper. They were both so good in their movies, so much that I am happy I do not have to choose between them!

Actress in a Lead Role
I saw two of the 5 nominees, Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence. I love Jessica Chastain, and Zero Dark Thirty was AMAZEBALLS, but Jennifer Lawrence made Silver Linings for me. She made me laugh and cry and for a character that can be so easily disliked onscreen, she still made 'Tiffany' likeable, and thats tough to do. I hope she gets it (plus her award speeches are hilarious). I really, really wish I would of seen The Impossible with Naomi Watts, because all I hear is how amazing the movie was and how good she was in it. It stopped playing in Sac a week or so ago- boo.

Best Picture
Of the 9 nominees for best picture I saw 5. Django, Silver Linings, Les Mis, Zero Dark Thirty, and Argo. I could EASILY make arguments to why Silver Lingings or Zero should win, but you know what movie was better than all of them? Argo. The fact that Ben Affleck was shunned for a directing nod for this movie is beyond me. I don't feel like a lot of people saw this movie either, which is too bad, because it is without a doubt the best movie I saw this year. People might say that based on my posted reviews I might saw SLP was my fav-it's just not true. Argo was just so damn intense-i didnt really know how to review it. But it definitely was my favorite, well acted, directed, everything.

The Oscars are on Sunday evening! You can make your own picks on Oscar.Go.Com


3 comments:

  1. Great review! This makes me want to watch the Oscars!! Love ya, Mom xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on Anne Hathaway and Daniel Day Lewis for sure. Although I have not seen Les Mis (tear), I will take everyone's word on it that she rocks. Besides, she's my favorite actress; I gotta root for her! DDL is absolutely amazing. He owns that role and deserves that Oscar. I am stumped on who will take home the supporting actor award, although I pray it's Christoph Waltz. And lead actress for me goes to Jessica Chastain. Although I have only seen 5 (6 as of Friday when I finally watch Argo) of the Best Picture nominees, I have a feeling Lincoln is going to take it. And rightly so. Des, can't wait for our annual red carpet, Oscar day text commentary. Love you!

    ReplyDelete