Saturday, September 21, 2013

Hide yo Kids

Kidnapping movies scare me. I can sit through demons and ghosts all day long (they scare me too) but there is something about watching a child get kidnapped that seriously chills me. On a rainy Thankgiving morning, the Dovers' visit their close friends for the holiday. They both have six year old daughters as well as teenage kids. They are busy having dinner and the two girls never return. Enter Jake Gyllenhaal, who lets just be clear- he plays an amazing cop/detective/investigator, right? I love him. He's tatted up and sports a facial tick as detective Loki (I just saw him on Inside the Actors Studio and he did this because he says intelligent people usually have ticks- fun fact) and it definitely adds to the saddness of his character, "whats up with him?" you'll find yourself pondering throughout the movie.

Not for long. The movie keeps you on freakin pins and needles the whole damn time. I felt like the theatre should of given me a Xanax with my movie ticket. Ever see Argo? Rememebr how it felt seeing that movie? It applies here as well. Luckily, I had a few cocktails previously, otherwise it probably would of been worse for me. I dont want to spoil much more of the plot, so I wont. I'll just try and focus on the highlights:

Hugh Jackman is really good here. He plays, to me, the epitomy of what a father would be like if his daughter was missing. His emotions are raw..he brought me to tears several times. How he chose to deal with these emotions, probably not the best way to go. Biggest Eye Roll Moment of the movie? The few (DAMAGING!!!) mistakes he and Jake Gyllenhall make during the movie. UGH. I know its a movie but I was silencing scolding them for their amatuer mishaps. But I disgress, I dont know how I would deal if I were in this situation in real life. I probably would of been Maria Bello (Hugh Jackman's wife) in the movie, grieving and asleep. There are LOTS of good supporting roles from Terrance Howard, Viola Davis and Paul Dano (CREEPY) that make the movie even better.

I LOVE when movies far exceed my expectations, and this was one. Go see it.

1 comment:

  1. such a good movie! and who doesn't love Jake in uniform! HELLO!

    renea

    ReplyDelete